Saturday, August 29, 2009

96 Degrees in the Shade






We landed in Kuwait at about 2 in the morning for security purposes...which I wasnt happy about at the time, but changed my mind when we got off the plane. It felt like being under a giant hot blow dryer. I couldnt imagine what it was gonna feel like when the sun rose! We then entered curtained buses that hurried us off to Camp Buehring. I realized that I was no longer in a safe area when we had two soldiers carrying M16s in the front of the bus for security.

The first picture above is the women's tent. We all slept on cots, shared a community shower, and had to do our business in porta potties.

The next picture is me and my battle buddy, MAJ Tha. A "battle buddy" is another soldier that acts as your partner and watches over you. MAJ Tha was like a mentor to me as well. She's been in the military for awhile and taught me a lot of helpful tips to make it through each day. I am forever grateful to have met her.

The third picture is one of several AT&T calling centers. There are about 20 phone booths within the building and I was able to call my parents several times despite the 13 hour time difference to Hawaii. Sorry mom and dad for waking you up at 3am!

The last picture is the women's shower facility right across from our tent. There were 6 sinks and 8 shower stalls within it.

No comments:

Post a Comment